The six sigma way, we will use and refer to a five-phase improvement cycle that has become increasingly common in six sigma organizations. Six sigma is based on DMAIC Model, as there is know true path we have to follow in any six sigma but this is just guideline one has to follow to implement six sigma project in the organization. Identify core processes and key customers.
What is Six Sigma’s Working Strategies?
There are five main steps in the Breakthrough strategy of Six Sigma:
- Select key Problem areas
- Select and train the right people
- Develop and implement improvements
- Manage Six Sigma Projects
- Sustain the gains
Selecting Key Problem Areas
Key problem areas in an organization would be those that:
- Have a high impact on customer
- Are critical to success
- Show fastest or largest return
Select and Train the Right People
Successful implementation of quality initiatives needs complete participation from every employee in an organization. They should be well informed, trained and motivated. A few people have to own the Six Sigma process.
Six Sigma Experience Levels
Six Sigma improvement efforts depend upon the contributions and teamwork of skilled participants at the following experience levels.
Executive Leaders keep the Six Sigma certification program focused on real business problems. They provide overall alignment with both the culture of the organization and its strategic vision of the future, and they create the system context for the
Black Belt projects
Project selection approvals, liaise with the CEO or Chair of the Board, Communications, Deployment, Company Metrics, Command and Control functions, recognition of individuals and teams, and establishment of business targets all depend upon Six Sigma Executives.
Project Champions take their company’s vision, missions, goals, and metrics and translate them into individual unit tasks.
- Additionally, Champions must remove any roadblocks to the program’s success.
- Project Champions are involved in selecting projects and identifying Black and Green Belt Candidates.
- They set improvement targets, provide resources, and review the projects on a regular basis so that they can transfer knowledge gained throughout the organization.
Develop and Implement Improvements
Broadly this has five important steps:
- Measure process
- Analyze process
- Improve process
- Control process
There are 5 fundamental steps involved in applying the implementation strategy to achieve the Six Sigma process:
Manage Six Sigma Projects
As a manager of the Six Sigma initiatives, it is necessary that you:
- Lead a focused effort
- Frequently review process and remove barriers
- Check real business impact
- Continuously communicate progress to executive leadership and those involved in projects
Sustain the Gains
The most difficult part is to sustain the gains that have been achieved.
- Implement effective control plans
- Conduct regular Six Sigma training to reinforce the initiative throughout the company
- Review the project’s effectiveness at regular scheduled intervals
- Continually identify and launch new Six Sigma projects Successful implementation of Six Sigma